A filmmaker in search of his American dream

"Pain is temporary, film is forever."

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Plans



My wife and I are saving up money for the big move. We have already been applying for jobs in the Los Angeles area in the (apparently unrealistic) hopes that we'll have something to go to when we take the big plunge into that traffic-choked, high-priced, city of broken dreams known as Los Angeles. So far it hasn't worked out. :(

Editor's Note (as if all of this wasn't): I'm terrible with resumes. I have no idea what to put on a resume and I hate the hours I spend debating about it. My most recent resume is a total disaster. I must've spent six hours on that thing, fancying it up adding this touch here and that touch there and so far it has all been for naught. I don't have much actual working experience in film production, so I list my student film experience, my video production experience, my skills in Final Cut and Avid. Should I list the months I spent bussing tables at a Brazillian Buffet here in town? Or the years I spent working at a home for people with special needs? The recent years as a substitute teacher in the Salt Lake City School District? I haven't been, but maybe some work experience is better than none? This is what I'm talking about... I literally have no idea.

So the plan for now is to head to Los Angeles at the beginning of next year with nothing but the clothes on our backs, two cars, and a pile of student loan debt. I graduated in Film and Media Arts from the University of Utah, a seriously impractical degree, but it was great to answer people "I'm going to school!" rather than "I'm pursuing my dream as a big shot movie producer" when asked the ubiquitous question "What are you up to these days?"

As far as I can tell there have been two, maybe three people who have graduated from the University of Utah in Film and had any sort of success in the actual film industry. I ignore these figures, A) because who says I can't be the third maybe fourth and b) because if I don't it'll be really depressing. 

Our goal is to save up $5,000 that we can use to live off of once we get out there while we hunt for jobs. So far we have $3,100 and yes we're accepting donations. :) I'm guessing I won't be able to land my dream job right away, so don't be surprised if you soon see me in a handsome In-N-Out burger uniform. I doubt I would be the last hollywood hopeful to spend nights working on screenplays while smelling like a good day's worth of fry grease and hamburger pattys. 

You know what will be great is if in a few years I'm doing this blog and talking about meetings I'm taking with studio execs and you can scroll all the way down to my humble beginnings. That will be nice. Look forward to that. I know I am. 

Uprooting and moving to California is going to be tough. Both of are families are here, siblings parents the whole kit-n-boodle, my friends, my band (I won't get into my rock and roll band on this blog), and the last 18 years of my life. 

But someone once told me that if you are serious about making movies, you must go where movies are made, or at least where they're financed. So California, here we come, right back where I started from. 


2 comments:

  1. You're going to do it! And I think your plan is a good one. In many ways, it's easier to get jobs when you're there, though my Dad always said it was better to get a job when you already have one. (I.e, Michelle's job) Cause then they know you're wanted and needed! But I will ask Rich if he knows people who might interview you down there. Anyway, I have confidence in you and your abilities, AND in Michelle's too. You guys are going places. Which is not altogether a comforting thing to a mom, but what ya gonna do... Love you!

    ReplyDelete